|Hilda van Stockum Marlin, with her six children, c. 1950. |
Clockwise: Hilda, John, Brigid, Randal, Sheila, Lis, Olga.
So here it is.
Don Rittner of the Albany Times-Union wrote an excellent article on Hilda van Stockum, "Not an Ordinary Woman," at the time of her birthday earlier this year. This has inspired me to announce a contest relating to the article.
The article is thoughtful and far-reaching, and much welcomed. Here it is.
I found a couple of minor errors in the article. It's hard to get it all right. As someone who is working on a couple of biographies, I know how hard it is to get everything right. So test your knowledge of Hilda van Stockum and see how many incorrect details you can sleuth out (ignore any mistakes in the associated advertising), number the errors, and send them to me.
First Prize: Any book of your choice by Hilda van Stockum that is in print as of the end of September, 2017, delivered to your door.
Second and Third Prizes: A book of our choice by Hilda van Stockum, delivered to your door.
1. Send your entry by email to email@example.com by 11:55 p.m., September 30, 2017. Entries received after that day cannot be considered for a prize.
2. Include your email address (required) and photo (optional) with your submission. We will not sell, exchange or give away your email address to anyone else.
3. Entries become the property of this blog, for us to report and comment on.
4. Entries will be judged on the number of errors correctly identified and the correct replacement noted.
5. The final judge of the number of errors correctly identified will be John Tepper Marlin. Neither he nor his spouse is eligible to enter. He will not discuss the contest in person until after September 30.